England after the humiliating performace in 2015, its a different team now. Not only the won the World Cup for the very first time in 2019, they are clear favorites for the 2023 World Cup too.
With every bowler of them with batting abilities in the form of Chris Woakes, David Willey, Adil Rashid, the tail of England is not easy to get through.
Let see how England and India matches in World Cup has panned out so far, and who holds the edge in
2023 World Cup
1) 1983 Prudential World Cup – In the first semifinal of the Prudential World Cup 1983 in home conditions of Manchester, England, India turned the odds against them as they defeated England by 32 runs for the final showdown against WestIndies.
Batting first, England made 213 runs in 60 overs. Though it was not such a reat performance, but 213 on the board was still not going to be that easy for the Indian team, and England knew that tat the half way mark.
But Yashpal Sharma and Sandeep Patil both scored half centuries as India got to the target in 54.4 overs.
In the last, a very comprehensive and clinical performance from India.
2) Reliance World Cup 1987 – India did reach the semifinal stage once again in the Reliance World Cup 1987.
Batting first, England made a good competitive total of 254 runs in 50 overs.
Azhruddin played a good knock of 64 runs from 74 balls and Kapil Dev made 30 runs but India’s lower down succumbed to pressure in quick time, finally reaching only to 219 runs in 45.3 overs.
With 35 required from 27 balls, the match could have gone to the haywire if only any Indian batsman would have stayed on the crease longer.
3) Benson & Hedges World Cup 1992 – England once again turned up on the winning side as they won the 2nd match of the Benson & Hedges World Cup at Perth, by 9 runs.
Batting first Englance once again made a tricky score of 236 runs and India fought really hard, but in the end was all out for 227 runs in 49.2 overs, giving England a win by 9 runs.
Sachin, Azhruddin, Ravi Shashtri, Vinod Kambli and Kapil Dev were part of the team.
4) ICC World Cup 1999– India finally saw change in fortunes as they won the 25th match at Birmingham of the ICC World Cup 1999 by a good margin of 63 runs.
Batting first, India made only 232 runs but the bowlers bowled beautifully to register a win by 63 runs.
5) ICC World Cup 2003 – This match is remembered for Ashish Nehra heroics as he single handedly defended India’s 250 runs by picking 6 wickets in quick succession.
None of the England batsman had answer to Nehra’s bowling on that day as England was all out for 168 runs in 45.3 overs.
Flintoff made 64 runs.
6) ICC World Cup 2011 – The 11th match between India and England in ICC World Cup 2011 ended up in tie.
India batted first and made a good above par score of 338 runs but Indian bowlers simply let India down.
After 15 runs of the penultimate over and 14 required of the last over, Munaf Patel hold his nerves to give fans a nail biting finish.
India was in winning position upto 48th over, so England players were quite happy with the result as they made 28 runs in the last 2 overs.
7) ICC World Cup 2019 – A weird match really as Indian batsman were simply not going for win in the last 10 overs.
England batted first and made 337 runs and India in reply also started well with a hundred from Rohit Sharma and a half century from Kohli.
But both Dhoni and Jadhav played some weird cricket at the end of the innings, not playing enough stroke as England won the match by 31 runs.